Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Puter Deus Interview



1. Can you give us a brief history of the band?

Puter Deus was an idea I had for some time and in early 2008 I decided to breathe life into this project. I already had some things spinning in my head and I immediately started writing music which ended up becoming my first demo "Through The Ashes Of The Past", which was released the summer of 2008 through Teutonic Satan. Recently I also released a new demo which is available for download at the Puter Deus Myspace page.

2. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard you before?

Since I never intended to make Puter Deus a narrow minded project I can't really fit the whole sound into tags like raw or primitive. It is pure Black Metal with the whole meaning of it. I like rawness as I also like melody.

3. What is the meaning behind the band's name?

Puter Deus is Latin. Puter means rotten and Deus means god, so you actually get the point, hehehe! First of all I like this name since it is not antichristian, but more antireligious I would say. I don't go for one religion, I am against all of them. Also it kind of resembles to the name of Rotting Christ and I am deeply influenced by this incredible Greek Black Metal legion!

4. What releases have you put out so far?

As I said before, I released a demo last year through Teutonic Satan, which was kind of stranger than my current sound. The vocals were way more different and the whole music was kind of more mid tempo and atmospheric I guess. My new demo called "Anti All" is a more classic straightforward Black Metal release

5. Have you received any label interest yet?

After releasing my latest demo I started searching for a label since I am in the works of a new release, which will probably be an EP. Until now I have heard many positive stuff about the new songs, but I still haven't found anyone that is able to release it.

6. How would you describe your lyrical content?

My lyrics are mostly about individuality, pride and war against every form of religion. I believe that every man should strive to reach the top and be strong enough to knock out everyone that stands in his way. Instead, many people are based on fake hopes and counterfeit religions. I strongly support Crowley's wise words "Do what thou wilt"...

7. What are your main influences music wise or non music wise?

The bands that have been like mentors to this musical journey for me are of course the titans Darkthrone and Mayhem, as well as bands like Carpathian Forest, Craft, Leviathan, Rotting Christ, Necromantia, Burzum, the Finnish warriors Impaled Nazarene, old Satyricon and many more. I also draw inspiration from various things like literature and poetry, nature, one of the most beautiful things. It can be the most destructive, as well as the most beautiful thing.

8.What are you listening to nowadays and what are some good bands or releases that you would recommend?

I listen to various stuff in and out of the Metal scene. For example I may listen to Black Metal and after some minutes you can find me listening to electronic music, classic Rock or Blues. Lately I have returned to my Black Metal roots listening nothing else than Black Metal. Some great releases I lately came across are Absu's latest masterpiece and Afgrund's "Vid Helvetets Grindar". Sick albums!

9. What role does Satanism or Occultism play in the music or life?

To tell you the truth I don't really care since as I said before I am against any kind of religion or things that connect to it. People feel the need to use symbols and invisible Gods just to feel safer or stronger. People still believe in stuff like heaven, hell, demons, magic etc. It just feels kind of pathetic. An incredible number of bands has written about stuff like that, but let's not forget that it is a field which offers you lots of things to write about. People still write about Thor as they still do for Satan. What can we do? We humans are just dying for myths and fairytales...

10. Are there any good films or books that you would recommend?

I recently read a very nice book by Robert W. Chambers, "The King In Yellow". The atmosphere this man creates is incredible! Regarding films, it may strange to some but I recently realized that I am a huge fan of Emir Kusturica. I watched "Zavet" and I loved it!

11. How would you compare the black metal scene in Greece to other European countries?

Although Greece was never famous for its Metal scene, the Black Metal bands back in the early 90's managed to put Greece in the Metal map. Titans like Rotting Christ, Necromantia, Zemial, Varathron and many more did amazing things and they are bands that are worth the respect of every black metaller. I won't say if it is better or worse than other scenes, every single one has its own sound. The fact is that hey managed to create a unique sound that still characterizes the Greek Black Metal scene.

12. Any final words?

You can visit www.myspace.com/puterdeus to listen to my music or contact me. You can also visit http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnRldXRvbmljc2F0YW4uY2piLm5ldA== if you want to purchase my first demo.

13.Thanks for the interview?

I thank YOU for this interview! Keep up the great work and supporting the underground brother!

1 comment: