Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sviatibor Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Sviatibor is a solo Pagan Black Metal project I created in November 2013. The main musical purpose of this project is to promote the pagan European heritage and to express my feelings for this land through very personal atmospheres.

2.Since 2013 you have released a good amount of singles, ep's and full lengths, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?

Well, through the 3 albums released during this first year of activity, my sound changed a lot. From Yav To Nav is very cold and dark, desperate, the sound quality is not very good, and there are a lot of effects on my voice. L’Oeuvre De Rod is way less dark than its predecessor, it sounds more positive, with a true atmosphere of passion and contemplation, my voice is still full of effects but there are a lot of spoken vocals. La Foi Des Ancêtres definitely has a better sound quality, it’s way more powerful, there are choirs and strings, and my voice is totally natural.

3.You have released a good amount of material, do you put a great amount of time and effort into writing new music?

Well, to be honest I think I could have spent more time on From Yav To Nav and L’Oeuvre De Rod, but actually I never thought people would be interested in my music, I was just doing this for myself, so I was not very exacting with my work. But I spent a lot of time on La Foi Des Ancêtres and I will spend more on the next album ! Now Sviatibor is a very serious project.

4.Your lyrics cover some Pagan and Nature topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in those subjects and how they are also a part of youe everyday life?

Paganism is definitely something really important in my life. I’m connected with my land, my gods and my ancestors, I can feel this union through my soul, and that’s what inspires me for my music and my lyrics. I want to honor our heritage through my art. And about Nature, well, I’ve always been a great lover of Nature. Nothing’s more beautiful than our motherland in its radiance. And I think nature is a great way to express feelings in a very metaphorical way.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Sviatibor'?

The name “Sviatibor” comes from the Slavic god of the forest. I thought it would be a perfect name for my project and its ideology. Paganism, heritage, and nature’s sanctuary.

6.With this project you do all the instruments and vocals, do you fell it is much easier to write the music you want to play working by yourself then it would be with a full band?

Well, I would not say it’s easier. It’s different. You are definitely more free to do what you want to do when you work alone, and you can dedicate your time to do it and not the time of the people you work with. A solo project is way more personal, but for someone who also work in a band project, I can tell it’s also pleasant to work with people, because when you’re feeling bad about your art, you’re not alone and you can carry on with people.

7.Your last full length was released by Primal Relics Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Primal Relics Records is a young American label created by Nick Stanger and Skyler Gabel. Nick just contacted me when he discovered Sviatibor in order to release From Yav To Nav as the first Primal Relics Records release, but I told him that I was working on a new album so we decided to release La Foi Des Ancêtres. I’m really satisfied of their work and I’m glad to had the chance to “meet” these guys, Nick became a very good friend of mine now.

8.Recently Into The Night released your first full length album on cassette, are there any plans in the future to also release some of your other material on cassette?

Not for the moment, but there will certainly be some other tape release in the future !

9.Last year you released a single that was a Burzum cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of this song?

Well, Illa Tiðandi is one of my favorite Burzum song. Everybody know that Burzum is my all time favourite artist and I wanted to honor this amazing project by learning, playing and recording this song on piano.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of ambient, pagan and black metal?

Pretty good actually ! I had a lot of support from Syria, Poland, USA, Russia, France, Italia, Germany … It’s a great feeling when you know people enjoyed your work.

10.What musical direction do you see the future releases going into?

The next album will follow the path drawn by La Foi Des Ancêtres. However it will be way more atmospheric, with a lot of keyboards, and a more original and elaborate music.You will know more within the next months ;-)

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

As I said on a previous question, I was mainly influenced by the music of Varg Vikernes, Burzum. All his albums. I’ve also been influenced by movie OST (Star Wars, The Lord Of The Rings, Gladiator …), and by traditional European music. I also listened to a lot of band since I discovered Metal but I don’t think a lot of them really influenced my music.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Lonely wanderings in isolated Nature, Paganism, Role Playing Games, writing and family.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


First of all thank you very much for this interview and your interest, thanks to everyone who’s reading, sharing it, everyone who listen and support Sviatibor … And sorry for my bad English. I wish you a good luck for the next !


Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment