Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Adore Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Adore is a one-woman black metal project. The majority of the music is very depressive in nature. Many of the songs lean towards the symphonic side. Adore is a peek into the reclusive, grim side of a brain that won't shut off.


2.So far you have released a demo and a full length, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?

The first offering “Infamy of the Black Legions” was a culmination of me dealing with deaths and being in a very dark place. Not very lyrical album, but 100% emotional. At the time the music was an outlet for my suffering, a way to unleash a lot of anger and pain I was holding in. Also, truly becoming a recluse and not wanting to deal with the outside world.

The second offering “Wanderers of Oblivion” is much more lyrical and deals with more external themes, namely how humanity's days are numbered, what will happen to the earth and our galaxy long after we have all died. As humans we tend to think we are the center of the universe. But when you start learning about the cosmos, and how tiny we truly are in the grand scheme of things, then that truly puts life in perspective. The earth will be no more. No matter how grim things are, we are truly lucky to be alive. Some won't have the opportunity to be born and enjoy this earth. Even so, I tend to remain a recluse and spend my time doing what I enjoy most. If I can change anything, it would be the health issues I'm currently dealing with. I'd like to travel the world more, but I think that's the goal of most people. Looking through telescopes and reading as many books possible will suffice for now.


3.The musical project has been around since 2004 but you waited until 2013 to release any music, can you tell us a little bit more about the long wait?

Well, besides being a musician, I have a professional career, a career that demanded a lot of very long hours both studying and working. A few of the songs actually date all the way back to the late 1990s. I was injured a few years ago and that eventually gave me time to take a breath and release these songs. So, yes, there has been some positive that came from a very negative situation. Otherwise, they may have never been released.


4.Your lyrics cover cosmos, galactic, mythological, paranormal and historical themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?

My spiritual beliefs are always shifting and my mind is always expanding. At this point, I'm more of an evolutionist, but I have had paranormal experiences. After my mother and close friend both passed away, I truly wanted to know if there was another dimension out there where the dead continues to exist. Of course, scientifically, there isn't proof of that, but I think it's our nature to think there is a forever. So, many of the lyrics deal with that. The cosmic/galactic lyrics came about because recently I've become a little obsessed with space and the universe. I find it very fascinating. I always say, “If you are looking for beauty and mystery, just look up.” So the origins of our existence weighs very heavily on my mind and also our destiny and the destiny of our earth. The historical themes deal with those who have suffered gravely in the past so many of us can have the freedoms and existence that we have nowadays. So, the music is a bundle of what goes on in my head daily. A brain that won't shut off and gets even more active when I'm asleep. Some of the mystical, mythological themes are actually dreams that I've had and remembered vividly.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Adore'?
There are several reasons I chose that name. Most names in black metal are very kvlt. I wanted a name that reflected feminine energy in such a dark genre. And also, Adore is basically a nickname that an ex-lover gave me that stuck. That simple.


6.With this project you record mostly everything by yourself, how would you compare working solo to working with a full band?

Working alone is very tedious! My injuries makes the process even more tedious. I'll record a few riffs here and there until it all comes together. Sometimes, I truly miss being in bands where there are so many different ideas to work with. I also miss playing live. But the great thing about being the only person involved in a project is that I am solely responsible for the final product. It's my vision and I didn't have to compromise. I love having that freedom and control.


7.On the album you had Cernunnos of Haeresiarchs Of Dis on a couple of tracks, can you tell us a little bit more about his participation on the recording?

I met Cernunnos through my longtime friend Chad Kelly (of the  bands Catholicon & Excommunicated). Chad had mastered a split album that Cernunnos of Haeresiarchs of Dis was a part of. Like Chad, I found another kindred spirit in Cernunnos. Both he and Chad are very brilliant guys and are both a true wealth of knowledge and experience. I love it when I can learn from friends and I've learned so much from both guys. Haeresiarchs of Dis' music is truly incredible. I refer to Cernunnos as a one-man symphony. One of his opuses “Circle of Sodomy” is definitely one of my favorite black metal tracks ever. I was even more impressed that he also created the video for “Circle of Sodomy”. So, it was natural that I wanted to work with him musically. I had a few songs that were told from a male's perspective. So, I asked Cernunnos and he was more than willing. We worked together through file sharing. Chad Kelly was supposed to be involved as well, but he is extremely busy with his job, moving, and so many other projects. But maybe in the future, the three of us will create a song together. Cernunnos and I are planning an ep together in the very near future.


8.Originally the  music project was based in Louisiana but now is based in Texas, what was the cause of the re-location and also how would you compare the 2 states?

I moved from Louisiana to Texas with my ex-husband because of career opportunities and also because we had visited Texas a lot to attend metal shows out here (that usually completely skipped over Louisiana) and basically fell in love with the Dallas/Fort Worth area. At the time of our move, we were so relieved to get out of Louisiana because hurricane Katrina had just hit and our area was truly in chaos. Louisiana will always be home though. When I think of New Orleans, I automatically hear Acid Bath, Crowbar, and so many others in my head and that instantly brings a smile to my face. I grew up around a lot of those bands and so much music. I have great memories of attending Goatwhore practices when they were first starting up and being on the very front row of many Acid Bath shows singing every word.

Louisiana compared to Texas...that's a tough question. If I were completely honest, I definitely prefer Texas to Louisiana. But each place has their pros and cons. Texas definitely has more career opportunities, a better educational system, less corruption, less "good old boy" mentality (at least from my experiences). The quality of life is so much better here in Texas.

Louisiana is so deep-rooted in music though. It also has incredible food, culture, and alcohol readily available pretty much anywhere.  When I moved to Texas, I lived in a dry county. That was like a culture shock coming from a place like southeastern Louisiana where alcohol is everywhere. The motto in New Orleans is "laissez les bon temps rouler" which roughly translates to "let the good times rolls". Louisianians party like no other.


9.Both the album and demo have been distributed by Red Stream, can you tell us a little bit more about the deal?

My good friend Tony Costanza (former drummer for Crisis, Crowbar, Machine Head, etc.) is great friends with Patrick at Red Stream. After hearing “Infamy of the Black Legions”, Tony told me he would pass it along to Patrick because Patrick loves weird, obscure, raw black metal similar to that on my demo. And he was right. Patrick heard the demo and was interested in distributing the album and I was happy about that. Patrick is a true joy to work with. Very cool guy.


10.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

The majority of the feedback from fans of black metal has been excellent. Of course, raw black metal is not everyone's cup of tea. There are some out there who think women shouldn't be involved in the genre at all. Some don't respect or get what I'm doing and that's fine. Some outside the genre think I'm a blasphemer. I never really expect anyone else to like or understand my music, but fortunately for me, many do. And that is definitely an incredible feeling when someone enjoys your passion and your work. I think of myself as a medium through which the music passes through. Sometimes the songs truly seem to write themselves. Also, My buddy Scott Conner of Xasthur posted “Infamy of the Black Legions” on his Facebook wall, and that led to many others discovering the music. So, I'm eternally grateful to Mr. Malefic. He is truly an incredible guy and musician. I will forever be a Xasthur fan.


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

Well, I''m very limited to what I can do physically because of my injuries. So there definitely won't be any live shows or touring. But I always see myself releasing dark music. Of course, there is a part of me that wants to experiment more (maybe with spacey, electronic music). I'll continue to put out very dark music and hopefully it will connect with someone out there.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

So many. I am definitely influenced by the second wave of black metal bands out of Norway... Emperor, Enslaved, Mayhem, Darkthrone, old Satyricon, old Ulver. I remember hearing Nemesis Divina for the first time and getting chills. It was like nothing I had ever heard. Same goes for Emperor's "In the Nightside Eclipse" and even Opeth's "Orchid". I'm also influenced by some of the local bands from the New Orleans area (past and present) ...Acid Bath, Crowbar, Soilent Green, Goatwhore, Somber, Psychon Vex, Ritual Killer, Luthian, Catholicon, Excommunicated. Nowadays, my favorites are Absu, Xasthur, Summoning, Haeresiarchs of Dis, Hakuja, Arcturus, Akercocke, Master's Hammer, Poccolus, Mutiilation, Gorgoroth/God Seed, Vorkreist, Darkspace, Skyforest, Crisis, Membaris, Sargeist, Horna, Behexen, Celestia, Quinta Essentia, Throne of Ahaz, Nergal, Secrets of the Moon, Antaeus, Hell Militia (all of LSK's old bands, R.I.P.). ColdWorld, Aaskereia, Nex De Omnis. I really love that cold, depressive shit. One album that I'm really enjoying lately is Astarium “Atenvx” album. If you are into that dark, symphonic stuff, I highly recommend it. Voices “London” album has been on repeat lately as well. So many. I can go on and on about all the bands I'm into and love. It's endless.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you so much for your interest and/or support of Adore. Hope you all are living the lives you want to live. Please keep purchasing black metal albums and merchandise, attending shows, and supporting the bands. Best wishes always. Hailz! \m/

Bandcamp
Myspace
ReverbNation
SoundCloud
Tumblr
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment