Tuesday, November 24, 2015

ChaosWolf Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
1.    Sure. We are filming the first videoclip of Chaoswolf, but it’s a slow process that will lasts -at least- six month. I’m starting the composition of new songs too.


2.In August you had released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
1.    The sound is a little bit more violent and heavier than the old stuff. But it also has those –few- remainders from old Chaoswolf, for example, the intro, “La escisión de Ouróboros” (Ouroboros’s Cleavage). As some people know, Chaoswolf started as an ambient BM project, keyboards playing a protagonic role, long length songs, but now the style is oriented to the guitars and to create some kind of dynamic BM experience. In fact, the album was recorded by two different drummers, spilling their own style. You’ll find a versatile sound in this album.


3.Your lyrics go into depth with Lycanthropy and Philosophy, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?
1.    Lycanthropy was the first topic on Chaoswolf, the first lyrics used to talk about the transformation into a demonic beast, known as werewolf, as a some kind of satanic thinking extension. The werewolf was a metaphore of the inner demons, the inner dark force provided –of course- by Satan. Now the concept is pretty much different. I’m not considering Satan as a real entity anymore. Here enters philosophy. Part of my philosophical position is to overcome the religious thinking, at any of its forms. I apologize if i sound a little heretic, but i propose the death of Satan as a strategy to create new ways of reflection. But here comes the other hand, after killing Satan as an idol, he becomes a signifier of a pure and radical void. I will develope a little more this idea on question 12.
About lycanthropy I can tell that is the Chaoswolf’s mark. I allude to it all the time. I consider my music, lyrics and voice as howls that only another wolves –of the same pack- can interpret, understand and enjoy. I don’t think lycanthropy as being violent, evil, destroying everything, etc. I think my position is much more modest: the myth of the werewolf express the human fantasy to overcome our condition, i. e. to be pulsional energy at it’s pure form and so on. But that is imposible, the fact is that we are divided, like Harry Haller in the famous Herman Hesse’s novel (inspired –by the way- by his relationship with C. G. Jung). So, i use the lycanthropy as an artistic expression of the subjective division. What people call “the inner beast” is not our animal part (represented by the wolf) but the human divided between his drives and the culture. In this dialectic movement, the inner beast is exactly the outside one, the human itself.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'ChaosWolf'?
1.    Well, i was 17 when i named this project as Chaoswolf. If i’m still using this name, even knowing that i’m very different nowadays, is because there are things that never change. I think this name could symbolize this never-changing element that i call my “own name”. And it will be more sick BM through this name.



5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

1.    We haven’t play any live show, but we will. I guess.


6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
1.    Nothing solid yet, but i’m considerating some cities around my region.


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about 'Caligo Arcanum Productions'?
1.    It’s a very serious and professional label mostly oriented to real underground BM. There are very few labels truly compromised with the spirit of mexican BM, i think CA is one of them.


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of black metal?
1.    Many people, especially from another countries, consider Chaoswolf as a raw, rudimentary and old-school BM. They like that. Personally, i don’t think in any style in particular when i’m creating my songs, but the influences talk by themselves. I have to add the fact that I use the recording tools accessibles to my hands. And i like to work my music without the stress of renting hours in a studio or something like that.
Also there were people who told me that they prefer the first Chaoswolf (the ambient BM one). It’s aceptable, but I sometimes think those opinions like the metaller stereotype: “the best stuff of that band is the first two demos”. I do not deny that sometimes is true, in the case of many bands. But in my case, in think my music has grown up not only without moving away from BM but solidifying it.


9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
1.    Well, Senectus plays in Cineris (Black Metal) and Atroxia (Death metal). They’re having some live shows and recording. Both bands have a facebook page, by the way. I invite you all to check them out.


10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
1.    We want to give some live shows and record a new album.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
1.    Well I guess this album is not brutal BM, but an energic one. My favorite BM style is the combination of energy, feeling, darkness spiced with some pieces of melancholy: i think in Noenum, Luror and Lutomysl. Even Nargaroth. I think my album is in that direction. I could agree the energy of bands like Stormnatt or Goatmoon.
I have a great variety of styles and genres in my “playlist”. Rock, pop, metal, hip-hop, nu-metal, even salsa. I have been listening some japanese rock bands lately. I can agree that all the music i listen is connected with some signifiers in “my” simbolic universe. The music is a linguistic phenomenon. It’s about significance. For example, Black metal is special for me because is the music that i choose to be part of. Even if i’m an excluiding part. But i don’t define me through the music  I hear, moreover, i don’t define me in anyway, i’m a fucking unknown entity –submerged in contingency- even to myself.



12.How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?
1.    I was a follower of satanism (from the Left Hand Path), but i set apart from it because I was influenced by another thoughts, for example, Chaos Magick. CM says that our believes are fictional, but funtional, so we need to make them work (for our magical purposes) by training some kind of “mental plasticity”. Besides, the controversial ideas of psychoanalysis made me question everything that I had believed. However, i have my construction about Satan and his role in BM, because is important. I think Satan as a name, not a symbol (like LaVeyans), just a name, wich means “the adversary”. But, adversity to what? To all monotheistic religions? That’s a little simplistic. Satan –for me- is the adversity to the religious field of meaning. Religion comes from the ethimological latin root re-ligare, re-unite. What’s the element wich reunite people? Meaning. People look for meaning, and the gods give it. So, the radical satanism for me would be the one who can escape from the meaning temptation. Some people object me saying that LHP isn’t religious, because the emphasis is to develope the own self. In some cases, to become a god. The individual versus the other. That’s right. But i think that as a form of introjection. Incorporing god(s) in a similar way as the sons eat the corpse of their father in the freudian myth of the primal horde. But the religious essence stills, just take a look to many satanist orders. Also, many people presuppose knowing wich is the border between myself and the Other. They presuppose the answer to the question: Where I end and where the other begin? And that’s a big philosophical problem.
About occultism, i like it, as a field of research. I’m interested in the relationship between mathematics and occultism, because numbers could point to the real, for example, 333 = the abyss. Also, i have affinity with Chaos-magick, because concibe chaos as something more creative than many occult orders.

 13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
1.    Well, thanks for having interest on Chaoswolf, howls to you and all those who support Chaoswolf, i really appreciate it!!!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment